All you need to know before sending money with Revolut
Is Revolut the best option for sending money abroad? We recommend comparing all your options using to make sure you get the best exchange rate and lowest fees for your transfer.
Our independent review of Revolut
Revolut is an innovative banking and currency exchange business that uses an advanced mobile app and several other interesting approaches. They offer current accounts and a wide range of money transfer and other services to personal and business customers.
For personal accounts, they provide an international Visa or Mastercard card. They also offer largely fee-free international money transfers at competitive rates to over 140 countries.
Please note that if the beneficiary bank is located outside of the EU or if the transfer is not in Euros, then your transfer will be sent via SWIFT and you may incur international wire transfer fees. The beneficiary bank and intermediary banks may also charge fees to receive or process your transfer. These fees are likely to be similar to the following amounts — these fees are charged by banks, not by Revolut: 35 AUD, 20 CAD, 50 AED, 16-32 EUR (outside of SEPA), 7500 JPY, 35 NZD, 20-40 USD.
Cross-currency exchanges are free up to £5,000 or currency equivalent per rolling month, after which a 0.5% fair usage fee applies. Turbo transfers may also attract an additional fee, unless you have a premium Revolut account.
When you’re travelling, you can withdraw money from ATMs without a fee, up to a specific amount.
Both individuals and businesses can enjoy multi-currency accounts, allowing people to hold, transfer and exchange money in US dollars and 25 other currencies. These intra-account transfers are made at close to the baseline exchange rate. Their advanced, feature-rich mobile app lets you transfer money quickly, receive notifications and split bills.
Revolut currently serves around 20,000 businesses. In addition to multi-currency accounts, they also provide fast international money transfers to other businesses, corporate cards, integration with accounting software and platforms, instant settlements and expense reports.
Revolut has over two million customers and has managed over 125 million transactions with a value of over £14 billion. They estimate that they have saved customers over £740 million in fees.
Revolut is available to residents in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
The service is also launching in the United States.
The Revolut Card
One of Revolut’s main innovations is the Revolut card. This is a card you can use to make purchases around the world. You can spend in multiple currencies and get automatic money conversion at close-to-baseline exchange rates. This makes international purchasing very fast and easy.
Revolut Cryptocurrency Conversion and Exchange
Revolut allows people to exchange traditional, fiat currency (like dollars or euros) into several popular cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin. Revolut makes this process very quick and simple, compared to other methods for purchasing cryptocurrency. It should be noted that cryptocurrency is very volatile and speculative, so make sure you understand any risks before purchasing it.
What we like about Revolut
A very wide range of banking and money transfer services
The Revolut Card for international spending
Advanced mobile app with many features
Competitive exchange rates
What we dislike about Revolut
You will need a “Premium” current account (£6.99 a month) to access some services
Although some regular money transfers are free, certain transfers will attract a fee
Business plans start at £25 a month and can go up to £1,000 a month
Compare international money transfer services
How does Revolut works
Open an account
Visit Revolut's website and open a free account
Enter the details about your recipient
Tell Revolut where you need to send money and to whom.
Set-up your transfer with Revolut
Enter how much money you want to send and how you want to pay for your transfer.
Pay for your transfer
Fund your transfer by making a local bank transfer or pay by debit or credit card
Let Revolut do the rest
Revolut will convert your money in the recipient's currency and send it to him through the selected pay-out option.
Fees & Exchange Rates
Revolut’s exchange rates are based on the Interbank exchange rate, which is the base rate used by large banks to transfer currencies. The interbank exchange rate typically beats the consumer rate offered by banks by around 3 - 5%.
For a few less liquid currencies like RUB, THB and UAH, Revolut offers the best rate they can and applies a 1% markup on the exchange rate.
During the weekend, they take the rate from Friday 23:59 and apply a markup of 0.5% on major currencies like USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, CAD, NZD, CHF, JPY, SEK, HKD, NOK, SGD, DKK, PLN and CZK. A 1.0% markup applies on other currencies outside of FX market hours. For less liquid currencies like Russian Ruble, Thai Baht and Ukrainian Hryvnia, there is a 1.5% markup on the weekend.
If the beneficiary bank is located outside of the EU or if the transfer is not in Euros, then your transfer will be sent via SWIFT and you may incur international wire transfer fees. The beneficiary bank and intermediary banks may also charge fees to receive or process your transfer.
Cross-currency exchanges are free up to £5,000 or currency equivalent per rolling month, after which a 0.5% fair usage fee applies. If you have a premium account, this fee is waived.
Credibility & Security
Revolut has clearly received a lot of investment and they have developed a wide range of innovative banking and money transfer services. The business is regulated by the FCA and client funds are stored under a segregated account at Lloyd’s or Barclays.
As an FCA authorised institution, Revolut safeguards funds as per FCA requirements, the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 and the Payment Services Regulations 2017. In the event of an insolvency of Lloyd’s or Barclays, users will be able to claim funds from this segregated account and claims will be paid above all other creditors.
All card transactions are processed by the Mastercard or Visa network and are protected by Mastercard or Visa rules.
Their policies and procedures are designed to protect personal information. They store and process personal information using third-party servers located in secure data centres, that are protected by firewalls and have restricted access in compliance with applicable regulations. All data passed between Revolut mobile apps, servers and third parties are 2048-bit SSL encrypted.
Revolut has good reviews on Trustpilot with a satisfaction score of 7.4 (out of 10). Almost 5,000 people have left reviews, and we provide a summary of positive and negative comments below.
- Clear communication with good and responsive customer service
- The ease-of-use and convenience of the mobile app
- Good at dealing with issues and solving problems
Some customers reported:
- Delays sending money internationally
- Having accounts blocked due to cards expiring and not being replaced
- Difficulties contacting customer service
Revolut mobile app
Revolut stands out for its fully-featured mobile application. The app allows you to access all of Revolut’s main benefits, including:
- Fast and simple money transfers to family and friends
- Instant payment notifications and analytics
- Budgeting and automatic saving for your Revolut current account
- Bill splitting so you can easily send and request money
- Cryptocurrency rates, alerts and transactions
Additional perks and services from Revolut
- Current (checking) account services in the UK and Europe, with several novel banking features like automatic saving, mobile integration and money transfers built in
- Premier account available for £6.99 a month that provides extra perks like higher transfer limits, insurance and faster transfers
- Easily make recurring money transfers into other currencies
- Revolut allows individuals to convert traditional, fiat currencies into popular cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ether and Litecoin
Compare Revolut fees and exchange rates
Where are you sending money to?
- Our real-time comparison engine finds the best providers for your transfer to India. You save on fees and exchange rates. That way, more rupees arrive.
- Our real-time comparison engine finds the cheapest providers for your transfer to Nigeria. You save on fees and exchange rates, and more money arrives.
- Our real-time comparison engine finds the cheapest providers for your transfer to Poland, you save on fees and exchange rates. That way, more Zlotys arrive.
- Our real-time comparison engine finds the cheapest providers for your transfer to Mexico. You save on fees and exchange rates, and more money arrives.
Compare Revolut to 300+ other providers
Questions you may have
Read our guides on sending money abroad
- In August 2018, in partnership with the user-testing platform UserBrain, Monito published a benchmark study of 10 leading money transfer services. You will find the highlights of this study on this page, but download the report to get …
- How can you make the most of your currency exchange when you transfer large sums of money across borders? By finding the right money transfer company for your needs. When making large money transfers there are two key details to consid…
- When it comes to exchanging money, paying for your transfer, understanding exchange rates and more, it’s important to understand what all the details mean. We’ve got you covered, with our complete Monito glossary and guide to the main…
- Each Venmo transfer needs the sender and beneficiary to be physically in the US, so you can’t use it to send money abroad to a friend or family. If you’re looking for the best service for your money transfers, you can compare all solu…